Subject: Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS released
The Ubuntu team is proud to announce the release of Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS, the third maintenance update to Ubuntu's 8.04 LTS release. This release includes updated server, desktop, and alternate installation CDs for the i386 and amd64 architectures.
In all, 80 updates have been integrated, and updated installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
To Get Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS
To download Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS, or obtain CDs, visit:
We recommend that all users read the release notes, which document caveats and workarounds for known issues. They are available at:
About Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS
This is the third maintenance release of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, which continues to be supported with maintenance updates and security fixes until April 2011 on desktops and April 2013 on servers.
80 post-release updates have been integrated, and a number of bugs in the installation system have been corrected. These include security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
See http://www.ubuntu.com/usn for a full list of Ubuntu security updates. As of 2009-07-15, all updates affecting packages on the CD have been applied.
A summary of notable updates follows. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu for specific information about a particular bug number. A complete list of post-release updates can also be found at:
* Fix persistent mode on the live CD (#219192, #274076)
* Fix GPT/MBR syncing on modern Intel Macs (#222126)
* Fix handling of UUIDs on existing swap partitions during install (#336992)
* Set hdparm power management based on AC state on resume/thaw (#59695)
* Fix LSB compliance in foomatic-rip (#376732)
* Work around crash when navigating around ssh locations (#236953)
* Don't inaccurately report all suspends >= 6 hours as failed (#242713)
* Disable the ability to create a new user whose name is owned by a previously defined group, which, if allowed to happen, would overwrite the old group. If this happened to 'admin', for example, it would render any system administration by sudoers impossible (#236305)
* Fix nautilus shortcuts to smb shares (#216104)
* Recover lost DAV over HTTPS mounting functionality (#222532)
* Fix connection issue with new ICQ protocol (#340151)
* Fix for mod_proxy with SSL using all the CPU (#306293)
* Fix kernel oops when shutting down NFS server (#253004)
* Fix open-iscsi installation and startup (#227848, #236640)
* Adjust openldap apparmor profile to allow cnconfig (#243525)
* Avoid getting stuck in infinite loops in redhat-cluster-suite (#290399)
* /etc/lsb-release: include "LTS" in the DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION field (#225735)
* Fix libgomp to work with shared libraries (#235070)
* Fix kernel oops when invalid character occurs in filename on udf filesystem (#321606)
* Fix kernel oops in the NFS client (#341783, #212485)
* Upgrade the lsb package to support LSB 4.0 (#370066) Helping Shape Ubuntu --------------------
If you would like to help shape Ubuntu, take a look at the list of ways you can participate at
If you have a question, or if you think you may have found a bug but aren't sure, try asking on the #ubuntu channel on irc.ubuntu.com, on the Ubuntu Users mailing list, or on the Ubuntu forums:
Ubuntu is a full-featured Linux distribution for desktops, laptops, and servers, with a fast and easy install and regular releases. A tightly-integrated selection of excellent applications is included, and an incredible variety of add-on software is just a few clicks away.
Professional technical support is available from Canonical Limited and hundreds of other companies around the world. For more information about support, visit http://www.ubuntu.com/support
You can find out more about Ubuntu on our website:
To sign up for future Ubuntu announcements, please subscribe to Ubuntu's very low volume announcement list at: